I am a married Mom of 3: Boy (4 yo), Boy (2 yo) and Girl (11 mo old). I founded MomsOutLoud.com in 2008, which is now DFWMama.com. (Basically, I decided I liked Rachael and her team so well I wanted to join it!) Now I'm here, writing about what I know and love - raising kids in North Texas.

More from this author »
RECENT PINS

Best Carbon Monoxide Detectors

As we head into the coldest winter months (Jan/Feb), many of us will be indoors more often with natural gas fireplaces and appliances running in our homes.  Now is the time to make sure your home is safe from possible effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide (also referred to as CO) is a colorless, odorless gas produced by burning material containing carbon.  It is produced by the incomplete combustion of the fossil fuels – gas, oil, coal and wood used in boilers, engines, oil burners, gas fires, water heaters, solid fuel appliances and open fires.  You can’t see it, smell it, or taste it; but carbon monoxide can cause brain damage or even kill you.  For more information and definitions on carbon monoxide visit The United States Environmental Protection Agency  or this website called Carbon Monoxide Kills.

Because it is so difficult to detect (no taste, smell, or color!), carbon monoxide detectors are the only way to know if CO levels in your home are at elevated levels before something goes wrong.  Here are three great options for you:

The TOP 3 Rated Carbon Monoxide Detectors:

Kiddie Nighthawk 900-0146 (Estimated price $40.00)

Kiddie Nighthawk 900-0076 (Estimated price- $50.00)

Kiddie 9CO-5 (Estimated price $25.00)

The 2 Runners-Up:

First Alert and American Sensors

There are many common sources of carbon monoxide poisoning (CMP). Be certain you know what they are.  You should also be able to recognize the symptoms of CMP and be aware if you or your family members seem ill. A silent killer – it’s also important that you are up to date on the various health effects that CMP can cause.  A common question is:  “When should I seek medical care regarding CMP? Don’t fool around – if you or anyone in your family have any symptoms of CMP (pets included,) you should go to a hospital emergency department immediately.  Make sure you know how to reduce your risks of carbon monoxide poisoning exposure.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Self Care at Home:

*Move all members of the family (again, pets included,) to fresh air away from the carbon monoxide source.

*There is no home therapy for carbon monoxide poisoning.

*It is important and a MUST that you seek medical care in a hospital emergency department.

Do YOU know how to prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Comment