I'm a wife (18 years & still going) and mommy to two boys (9 and 2). I left my job in corporate America to be a full time stay at home mom after our second son was born. I'm now the CEO of chaos in the Simmons household. I'm an organization and crafting freak. I love things in it's place and I love to create. My creative side is the one area I let loose and chaos and mess can live (for a limited time). There's a certain kind of peace and connectedness that happens when life is simplified, organized, and you can create. Especially when you can relax and let your kids be... well kids. I can't wait to share with all of you mamas.

More from this author »
RECENT PINS

Confessions of a DIY Mom

Before kids I had this thing… it was called TIME! I honestly didn’t realize how much time I had pre-children until I had children. I was a DIY girl LOOOOOONG before it was “in.” I used to get power tools for birthdays and Christmases (I can thank my dad for that). Earlier this year after looking at the various “in progress” DIY projects I started and left in various stages, awaiting completion, I took on a new perspective.  I WOULD FOCUS ON COMPLETING ONE ROOM AT A TIME. That meant any improvements or décor in that one particular room. No more buying something just because I liked it, then telling myself I would find it a home once it got in my house. Case in point…

THIS is my powder room project (or half bath, whatever you happen to call it). I wanted to change the mirror the builders put up when our house was built. I had this brilliant idea I’d buy a mirror, and simply remove the existing one. One problem… I didn’t know that the builders GLUED the mirror to the wall prior to using the hardware to mount it to the wall. My simple upgrade  turned into a DIY project. Under normal circumstances (meaning no children around) this would have been a 2-day project, just because of drying time. Nope… not in mommy world. The new mirror sat it my powder room, still in the box, for a couple months before I got motivated to apply duct tape to the entire surface of the old mirror (that’s a safety precaution in case it breaks). It then took another month or so before I actually attempted to remove said mirror from the wall. When I finally did, I used a 5-in-1 painter’s tool to carefully pry it from the wall. This was the end result! {sigh}

Wall repair

As you can see I got a little more than I bargained for. Those dark patches were the remains of the adhesive that I HAD to scrap off with the same 5-in-1 tool. I had to clean up the peeling paper and then patch the drywall surface (that involved applying drywall compound, drying time AND sanding). When that step was done, I had to retexture the wall and paint it. It only took me 6-7 months to get the wall ready to hang my new mirror. A lot of it was just getting motivate or around to it. Some of that was the practice it took to get the texturing right. After the wall was prepped it STILL took another month before I actually hung it (it was hung mostly because my bff was tired of it not getting done). TA-DA… finally my new mirror.

Bathroom Mirror

The room isn’t QUITE done. I still have a couple of finishing touches to make. A new light fixture (that could be a few months), crown molding (that will probably take me a year to finish lol), and a new toilet paper holder (I can do that in 5 minutes – THIS is doable).

Tags: , , ,